As regard the repair, the first step you need to take is to assess the level of the damage. Basically, there are two features in a crack.
1. The pit site: this is the point where a hard object hits the glass. Here, some pieces of glass will have been broken into particles.
2. The impact site: this is the overall surface of the damage.
More so, the crack might be deep or shallow. If it is deep, the ultra-tight seal or layer between the two sheets of glass in the windshield will have been damaged.
The DIY Approach
If you have any repair kits, try to measure the crack’s diameter. As long as the measurement does not exceed twelve inches, it can be repaired. Above that limit, any attempted repair will eventually fracture the glass at a very fast rate.
Make sure you have a manual that will show you a step-by-step approach to fixing the problem. You will also need high-quality sealing compounds that you can apply to the cracked surface. After the application, leave it for 15 – 30 minutes for a proper glass-curing process.
Alternatively, you can hire an expert to fix the problem. However, you should consider the following factors before you opt for the services of any auto maintenance firm out there:
* It should have a good track record on expertise.
* Its repair services should come with approved insurance.
* The repair services should be fast, reliable, and professional.
* The quote should be affordable.